I used to think I loved peanut butter. I used to think I knew what it meant to love peanut butter. I used to think I knew what peanut butter was. I didn't know anything!
When I'd say "I love peanut butter," I would be referring to some name-brand counterfeit (Skippy, Jif). Sure the ingredients listed peanuts first - followed closely by sugar, then partially hydrogenated oils, then salt. But for the old me, that was just fine.
About a year ago, my life changed. On a health kick, we decided to try natural, organic peanut butter. Ingredients: peanuts, salt. We were nervous, but we were not disappointed. Sure there's the added work of stirring in the oil when you first open a jar, but it is SO GOOD! So worth it.
Now I'm a peanut butter snob. Any other peanut spreads just taste fake to me. It's like going back to Kraft Singles after you've tried real Tillamook cheddar cheese. It just can't be done. I'll never be the same.
For the record, the brand I recommend is Kirkland Signature (from Costco). But if you don't have a membership, you should be able to find something comparable at any grocery store. Also - get one that specifies "roasted peanuts" as opposed to just "peanuts". Much better flavor.
Disclaimer: I realize this is not for everyone. Whenever I mention it to my mom she gags at the thought of mixing in the oil. She grew up on that kind, so she knows what she likes, and she likes the name-brand stuff, and that's okay. We can still be friends. We just can't ever share a PB&J.
3 years ago
2 comments:
I grew up with Adam's (where you stir in the oil) and I always wished I had the "normal" stuff but now I prefer Adams any day. Way more real.
PS Tillamook sharp cheddar is the bomb.
I tried the 'real' stuff one time and I was like, "What is this crap?" But that was a LONG time ago. Perhaps my tastebuds have matured and it is time for me to try it again.
Post a Comment