Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Trial by Fire

Please ignore my fat pregnant face and pay close attention to the terror in my eyes. This is a girl who does not like driving!
I got my driver's license in 2003, at seventeen and a half years old. This means I drove around town for about six months before leaving for college, where I did not have a car and therefore almost no driving experience for the next five years.

Fast forward to January 2010. Been married over a year and a half now, with full access to a car - but by default, Steve does about 90% of the driving. Then we find out our friends are coming to visit and he won't be here to pick them up from the airport. YIKES! This was a true test of friendship. Of course I was more than willing to drive to the airport (about 30 minutes from home), but I was less than confident in my ability to make it there alive. So Steve gave me a crash course (ha!) in California highway driving by suggesting I drive home from our hotel in Sacramento (about 1 hour away) the week before. I made it! (Thanks to Steve's patient coaching, as well as the simple comfort of having him there in case anything went horribly wrong.) But I was still less than enthusiastic about making the airport trip on my own.

Luckily my sister accompanied me so I could at least give voice to my anxieties and relieve some of the tension through humor. And once again  - I made it! (Thanks to the amazing technology known as a GPS navigator.) We even made it back home in one piece! (After about 5 wrong turns, but again - a GPS is a wonderful thing.)

Over the next few days I also drove to San Rafael, Sausalito, Muir Woods, the Oakland Temple, and the Rockridge BART station. We were all over the Bay Area! And all the while I thought "Who is this crazy person behind the wheel? It can't be ME! I would never do something so frightening!"

I'm pretty much a professional driver by now. And I'm very grateful to Emily and Christian for coming to visit so I would HAVE to face my fears. But I still let Steve drive them back to the airport on Sunday. And I loved him for it.

3 comments:

Emily Jones said...

Ha ha. Oh Christie, how special you make me feel. I am so grateful that you conquered your fears for me. I guess I really didn't realize how much driving intimidated you. But I appreciate you doing it. And you did a GREAT job! Now relax... it's over! Until we come again! :)

lauren and ryan said...

i just expressed my feelings on annie's post, but i'm so dang jealous. wish i could see the baby bump, and give her a high five. miss you girls!

Rachael said...

You are so funny. We all get bigger faces while we're pregnant. You're not alone and you look GREAT!!! I'm so proud of you!