Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Natural (wo)Man

Last night, while driving home from our Relief Society Christmas dinner party, I said a little prayer of thanks for the good time that I had, for the kind women who sat with me and showed interest in my life, and for being "brave" enough to show up alone. For some reason I always hesitate to go to activities, especially by myself. I recognized that this is the case and wondered how I could dread such things, when I always end up having a wonderful time. I connected this to earlier that day when I was dreading my work-out, and how I got on the treadmill anyway, and how I felt great afterwards. I could see that I had a tendency to avoid the things that make me happy. But why?

Mosiah 3:19 "For the natural man is an enemy to God...and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man..."

This scripture came to mind and cleared up my confusion. Of course, Satan "seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself" (2 Nephi 2:27). He makes it seem more desirable to stay home and sit on the couch all day. It's certainly easier, but is it better? When I listen to the Holy Spirit, I know that this is not true. I know that exercise is good for me. I know that spending time with good people will bring me joy.

I know all this, yet I so easily forget all this. I hope I can remember better from now on. Heavenly Father wants me to be happy and has made a plan for our happiness. I only need to follow it.

3 comments:

David said...

yes

Laura said...

Thank you.

Emily Jones said...

You have a great testimony. Thank you for sharing! You're a good example to us all! Love ya!