Friday, December 11, 2009

DONE.

This time last year, I still had about 20 books to go in my goal to read 100 by December 31st. I made it, but there was a lot of reading last December, and not so much celebrating of Christmas. This time this year - I'm DONE! Finished #100 this afternoon (which was the November Ensign, by the way). My drive to finish early was partly fueled by Steve's loving request that I do so, in order to be able to enjoy the Christmas season more fully. And maybe so he wouldn't have to spend his time off work sitting next to me quietly while I read all day. Good idea, Steve.

Not only did I finish earlier, but I also upped my page average - from 278 last year to 295 this year - thanks to monster books like The Count of Monte Cristo (1462 pages), The Old Testament (1184 pages), and David Copperfield (1001 pages).

For those of you who like to read, I would recommend the following:

Top 10 "Adult" Books (in the order I read them, not order of preference)
The Book of Mormon
Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Tom Stoppard)
Night (Elie Wiesel)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)
Miracle in the Andes (Nando Parrado)

Top 10 "Children's" Books
The Penderwicks (Jeanne Birdsall)
Walk Two Moons (Sharon Creech)
The View from Saturday (E.L. Konigsburg)
Matilda (Roald Dahl)
The Borrowers (Mary Norton)
Rules (Cynthia Lord)
Squashed (Joan Bauer)
A Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
Maniac Magee (Jerry Spinelli)
Nicholas (Goscinny&Sempe)

2009 is in the bag. My mom says I might have to reconsider my goal for next year. Something about having a new baby and not having as much free time as before? But I figure I've got 4 solid months before everything changes so, we'll see...

4 comments:

Emily Jones said...

Wow.

You pretty much read in one day what I read in one month. Which means you read 30 TIMES as much as me. That must be why you're so smart.

Have you read Fablehaven? I'm loving that series right now but I don't know that many people who have read it. I started before Carly was born and I am already to book 4! You should be so proud.

Do you buy all your books or check them out at the library? Why aren't you a librarian?

Rachael said...

Good job!!!

I LOVE Jane Eyre. It's one of my very favorite books. I'm glad you read it. I just finished watching the PBS Masterpiece version of it. I checked it out from the library. You should, too. It's super good.

EmRee said...

Way to go. I'm hoping you don't get as much reading as I got during my pregnancy as I was on flat bed rest and would read a Work and a Glory volume a day just to have something to do.

Laura said...

Um, I've never read that many books. EVER. I have this (perhaps erroneous) idea that I'll do all my reading when I become a mother... yeah. I think if your mom is right, I'd better repent and start reading now.

Do you do audio books at all? Or just plain old fashioned reading? Are you able to actually sit still and read???? Props, oh so many props to you. I am inspired.