Monday, March 9, 2009

Trying New Things

Who would have thought I was missing out on so much before I got married? Since getting hitched, Steve has introduced me to the following:

Pho - Vietnamese soup
Gyros - Greek pita sandwiches
Sushi - Japanese rice and seaweed, wrapped around just about anything you can imagine

As far as I know, I've never been a picky eater. I love food and I'll try anything twice. The pho and gyros were instant hits, deliciously speaking. Love at first bite, you might say. But I will admit that I didn't take to sushi quite so wholeheartedly. That taste developed in pieces. Five pieces, to be exact. As in five separate rolls from five separate sushi makers, over a span of five years!! (OK, not really, it was actually only about 3 years between my first bite and the one last week that convinced me that, hmm...YES, I really do like sushi!).

Anyway, with each trial, I found it grew on me a little more. I still cling to the safer California roll as my stand-by, but I enjoy tasting other more adventurous rolls. And I was surprised to find, not only is it NOT "just raw fish" but there are countless different varieties - seriously, hundreds! It's a whole new edible world! Last time I even branched out and tried a bite of sashimi - which really IS "just raw fish". I don't expect to ever develop a taste for that as, oddly enough, it had no taste at all, but just trying it helped me feel brave nonetheless. And to think, I may never have nibbled on a cold, dead fish if it hadn't been for my husband. Thanks, Steven dear

2 comments:

Rachael said...

you're so cute. i'm not a picky eater either. i just don't eat seafood (at all), much meat, or anything weird :)

Annie said...

oooh, we love pho! Matt especially. Double date then? Ok!