Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Interview with the Author

The following transcript was taken from an exclusive interview with self-proclaimed "aspiring author" Christie Eastvedt (CE). (IV) represents the "InterViewer".

IV: So Mrs. Eastvedt, first of all - thank you so much for agreeing to meet with me. As an "aspiring author," I'm sure your time is very valuable to you.

CE: Why did you do that?

IV: I'm sorry?

CE: That...that... (uses first two fingers of each hand to make quotation marks in the air) that quotes thing?

IV: Oh, well I just meant that for an author, we have yet to see any published works. Am I right?

CE: That would explain the "aspiring" part, wouldn't it?

IV: Ah yes. So, are you...working on any books right now, Mrs. Eastvedt?

CE: You can call me Christie.

IV: Is that the name of your current work-in-progress?

CE: Huh?

IV: You Can Call Me Christie?

CE: Your name is Christie too?!

IV: No! No I thought... I mean... My name is Ed.

CE: Nice to meet you Ed.

IV: And you, Mrs. Eastvedt.

CE: Christie.

IV: Right. So... are you working on anything?

CE: Oh, I've got some ideas. Look, I was under the impression that this interview concerned my recent weight loss and you guys wanted to know how I did it and all that. You are from some kind of health magazine, correct? That's what I'm here to discuss -

IV: Right well, I just thought, maybe -

CE: That's all I'm going to discuss.

IV: I see. So... well you do look great, I must say.

CE: Thank you.

IV: I mean really amazing.

CE: And I'm married.

IV: So am I.

CE: Just so we make that clear.

IV: Alright.

CE: So...

IV: So... what?

CE: ... well I didn't prepare any questions!

IV: Oh! Oh yes, sorry about that.

CE: You're forgiven.

IV: Anyway, so yes... your recent weight loss... you've lost... how many pounds now?

CE: Eight. Over about six weeks.

IV: Eight pounds in six weeks? That's it?! That's the BIG story I'm supposed to get from you?

CE: Well I wasn't exactly obese! I just put on a little Newlywed 15 if you know what I mean and I decided it was time to get rid of it. So I did. End of story.

IV: Well, not exactly "end of story". I mean, 8 pounds is hardly 15 if you catch my drift.

CE: I'm going to lose it!

IV: Whoa, calm down!

CE: No, not lose it lose it, I meant lose it... the rest of the weight.

IV: Uh huh...

CE: I am!

IV: Mm-hm...

CE: (sighs)

IV: So how are you doing it? Some miracle weight loss food? Special tropical jungle juice? Some famous personal trainer? Some drug not yet legal in the U.S.?

CE: No, no. Nothing like that.

IV: Then what?

CE: Just eating healthier. Smaller portions. Fewer ingredients. Exercising a little every day.

IV: Right.

CE: I'm serious.

IV: Sure.

CE: Seriously!

IV: Well, you know, that's not exactly the story our readers want to read.

CE: What would you know about stories people want to read?

IV: Well... I am a writer.

CE: What's that supposed to mean?!

IV: I just think I know a thing or two about what sells, having had quite a few of my articles published.

CE: Ooooh I see. You're a published author, wow-ee! Come to rub it in my face? I told you - I'm working on it!

IV: No! Honestly, I only meant to defend my questions. It wasn't meant to be offensive.

CE: Alright.

IV: Alright.

CE: I'm sorry.

IV: It's fine. No big deal.

CE: OK.

IV: And you do look spectacular.

CE: Drop it.

IV: Right. So... you've lost...um..."all this weight"...So you really haven't written a book or a poem or anything in the meantime?

CE: This interview is over.

IV: No!... it's just... well... your fans would like to know exactly what you are doing with your life.

CE: I just told you.

IV: So you're eating...uh, that is... eating less...?

CE: And reading.

IV: Eating and reading.

CE: Sometimes I swim.

IV: Very impressive.

CE: It's pretty easy actually. I could teach you.

IV: How to swim?

CE: Yeah.

IV: No thank you.

CE: Scared?

IV: It's not that, it's just -

CE: You're scared! (laughs)

IV: I already know how to swim!

CE: Oh.

(at this point the tape ran out, along with the IV's patience. We had many more questions but unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to ask them)

3 comments:

Annie said...

love the dialogue...and congrats on the successful six weeks! I could use an 8 lb decrease...
:)

Rachael said...

You are hilarious! I love it. And good job with losin' weight. I recently lost 39ish pounds...oh wait I had a baby..and it wasn't that recent or that fabulous. Yours is better. Mine was just undoin' what i'd done. Love you!

Melissa said...

Yeah! Smaller portions, exercise, that's what we "aspiring dietitians" love to hear. :)