But they haven't seemed to mind. They produced a fair amount of berries last year and we are hoping for even more this June.
AND we added some more berry friends to our backyard....
Three raspberry starts (which Steve dug out of our home teacher's backyard - with permission of course...)
And three blueberry bushes! (from Costco)
We're not sure if the raspberries are going to make it. They haven't grown much since Steve transplanted them and I think maybe they don't get enough sun, but the blueberries seem to be thriving. We're just waiting for all those little greenberries to turn into blueberries.
In case you are wondering, the little black pot in between the blueberries is a chive plant we got from one of Steve's co-workers last year. I think we were supposed to re-pot it or put it in the ground. It's definitely getting too big for it's current home. But somehow it survived the winter. And apparently it flowers if you don't snip it. Who knew? (okay maybe you knew, but I didn't...) I'll have to get these earlier next year I guess. Purple flowers might be a little weird in twice-baked potatoes.
In un-berry related news, our lilacs were in full beautiful bloom last week. They are still looking pretty and smelling wonderful. I'm so glad I didn't have Steve rip these out when we first moved in. I can't believe I even considered it! There's more to life (and gardening) than what you can eat.
1 comment:
One day.... I would love to grow our own berries. We would save a bit of money, too!
Post a Comment