Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas 2010

Classy Traveling - We were upgraded to FIRST CLASS on 3 of our 4 flights. It was a Christmas miracle. I don't know how I ever made it through a flight without being offered a hot towel. Our next vacation will be a rude awakening, I'm sure.
Happy Joe's Pizza - The best of the best when it comes to Taco Pizza (a midwestern specialty). It's a must-have for Steve when he goes home. So good we ordered it twice.
Reunion - Although we've seen Steve's parents and sisters several times over the past two years, this was our first time in Iowa since Thanksgiving of 2008. It was good to see some of his extended family as well. And the Mississippi River. I don't know why but I love it.
Indulgence - I've been meaning to start a regular exercise routine and a more balanced diet - but decided to wait for the new year. So of course it was a lazy, all-you-can-eat week for me. Especially when the pecan pie showed up. (Don't worry, I'm behaving myself now.)
Snow - There were several feet of it when we arrived, but most had melted by the end. Still it was exciting to see it piled up everywhere, reminding me of winters growing up in Ohio.
TV - I think we watched a couple hours a day (at least). We don't really watch TV so it was a fun diversion from the norm. My favorites were the cooking shows and the game shows. I could totally win Wheel of Fortune.
Missing Home - This was the first Christmas not spent with my family. Ever. It was different. In some ways I feel like I just skipped Christmas altogether. The fact that we were up in the air or in airports most of Christmas Day may have contributed to that. On the other hand, it was nice to open presents twice (since we were in Washington on Christmas Eve, Iowa on Christmas Day).
Attention - It's tough to be the first grandchild on both sides, but Daphne handles the overflowing love and affection quite well. And we never really get tired of showing her off. I'm glad we could spend some quiet time with Steve's side of the family (when we weren't busy having a baby or moving to a different state).
Sleep - Daphne decided she could sleep through the night in Iowa. I'm not sure what changed, but I am very, very grateful. The second miracle of Christmas. (Since returning home she is still sleeping through the night - thank goodness!)

2 comments:

Rachael said...

That is so fun! I'm glad you had a good trip.

David said...

muy bueno