Friday, March 12, 2010

Weather Permitting (Or Not)

The weather has been beautiful all week, and I have been taking advantage of that to do my daily workout (1 hour walking - I know, pretty intense) outside in the sunshine. So I was a little disappointed when it was overcast this morning. But then I thought - So what? I'm walking outside again anyway.

Towards the end of my first lap, I felt a few raindrops. Big deal, I thought. I can keep going. It will probably clear up anyway.

By the middle of the second lap it was definitely sprinkling, the clouds were getting darker and some decent rainfall seemed imminent. Not wanting to get caught in a downpour I decided to admit defeat, head back to the hotel and finish my walk on the boring treadmill. But just before I made it to the fitness room, I saw a big group of muscle men enter. Hmm... That changes things. So I tried to pretend like I wasn't even headed in that direction, kept walking down the hall and right out of the hotel. Now I was stuck. Back to the outdoor track! (and by "track" I mean city sidewalk.)

I finished all six laps! In the rain! Fighting the wind! Uphill! Both ways! Ok, it's all true except the uphill part. But still! I felt pretty good by the end of it - and not TOO wet. It was definitely worth it. Sometimes it's just good to be outside, even in "bad" weather.

No comments: