Now that it's not just me that is affected by what I eat, I am trying to be a LITTLE bit better about getting enough vegetables. And when you're supposed to get 4* servings a day and before you were maybe getting 2 on a good day, well... being a LITTLE bit better can be a LITTLE bit intimidating. Here's how I solved that problem today:
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T. butter
4 small red potatoes, diced
1 can low sodium chicken broth
black pepper
garlic
4 cups broccoli, chopped
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
Cook the onion in the butter til it's soft. Add the potatoes, broth, and seasonings to taste. Bring to a gentle boil and stir occasionally until potatoes just start to get tender. Add the broccoli, cover, reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is done. Remove from heat and cool a bit, then puree in a blender in two batches. Return to saucepan over low heat, add the milk and cheese and stir until cheese melts. Serve with bread/toast/crackers/etc. Makes about 5 cups.
Now here's the exciting part: not only was this soup delicious, but it was also only 240 calories a cup AND each cup provides almost 3 vegetable servings!!! (please note the 3 exclamation marks representing each serving of vegetables.) WOW.
*4 servings a day for pregnant women. If you're not pregnant I think it's only 3. But I'm pretty sure by "3" they mean "at LEAST 3" so it couldn't hurt to get more. And by "they" I mean the people who know everything about what's good for us. (Specifically: the American Cancer Society and American Heart Association.)
3 years ago
2 comments:
My sister-in-law came to visit me a few weeks ago. She has lost almost 100 pounds from eating a diet based mainly around vegetable. I was already feeling guilty! Now, after reading your blog, I'm feeling even MORE guilty. I'm going grocery shopping and I'm not coming home until I've got enough vegetables to last me the whole week through. Thanks for the motivation! Oh... and I'll definitely try the soup. Hope it's as good as you say it is! Love ya!
christie!! i'm so glad you have a blog!!!! i love you!! congrats on the pregnancy!!
Post a Comment