Friday, August 26, 2011

Wild Blackberries

One of the great things about Washington is that blackberries are free. They grow all over the place. Like dandelions, except they taste better. Our neighbors showed us a good picking spot last week (we got about 4 cups of berries) and we returned there last night (and picked a half gallon more). We've got big plans for making blackberry ice cream, once I buy a good wire mesh strainer. We made ice cream with the first crop as well, and although it was delicious, and Steve didn't seem to mind, I found the seeds a bit distracting. I just couldn't fully enjoy it.
I know what you're thinking. Why don't you make jam? Or a blackberry pie? Well I would, but our neighbors already did that and shared with us each time! So ice cream it is... Not that we're complaining.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Mmmmm. That sounds so awesome! Sadly, no blackberries in Pullman. Just wheat. Not that wheat is bad but it doesn't make very good ice cream..