Thursday, March 3, 2011

Confessions

WARNING: After reading this post you might think I've lost my mind. So if you'd rather remember me as the Christie you always knew - who was completely sane and liked to go with the flow and not rock the boat, etc. - you probably should just stop reading now.

Still with me? Okay. Keep in mind I've given both of these decisions careful consideration. They were not made on a whim. Here we go...

Confession #1: I am deleting my facebook account.

I've wanted to do this for over a year now. I think I've finally summoned the courage. Here are my arguments:

1. I hardly ever use facebook anymore.
2. When I do it always ends up a waste of time.
3. I'm a little nervous about privacy (or lack thereof).
4. I still have my blog, and email, and cell phone for "keeping in touch".

All right. Maybe not so crazy? Time for the big one...

Confession #2: We are going to homeschool our kid(s).

Up until about three years ago I had never, ever, EVER even considered this. Then I met a homeschooling family with normal kids. In fact they were some of the most well-adjusted, well-rounded, well-behaved kids I knew. So I started researching. Turns out the homeschooling world is nothing like I thought it was. And I decided I wanted my family to be part of it. Steve took a little more convincing, but eventually I earned his support.

I have mentioned this desire to only a handful of people outside our immediate family. So if this is news to you, allow me to explain...

My Reasons to Homeschool
1. More family time.
This is absolutely number one. The more I imagined my daughter's first day of school - sending her off to spend half the day with people I barely know, only to come home (tired and cranky) to do homework and chores and eat dinner and go to bed and somehow try to fit in fifteen minutes of quality family time - the more I realized I just couldn't do it. I want my kids to be home. I want our family to learn and work and play together.
2. Better academic environment.
Having survived public school and earned a degree in education, I have a lot of faith in and respect for teachers. I believe they generally have good intentions and do the best they can with the resources they have. However, increasing class sizes, budget cuts, district policies, and state tests based on mandated curriculum don't help. Even when compared with the best schools in the country, I think I can provide a better academic environment for my children.
3. Flexibility of time and curriculum.
Our kids will be able to work at their own pace in a curriculum that is tailored to their interests and abilities. We can set our own schedule. They can choose what they want to learn, and learn about it through more hands-on/real-life experiences (no busywork). We can have a field trip every week. We can take a vacation whenever we want.
4. Filtered outside influences.
I do not plan to shelter my kids. I want them to have friends and hobbies and activities outside of the house. But I also want to be aware of who and what they are being exposed to. And I don't think they will suffer from a little less negative peer pressure. At first I thought of homeschool as narrowing a child's worldview and perspective, but now the scope of potential opportunities seems almost limitless.
5. Creativity and love of learning.
So many students end up hating or barely tolerating school and sometimes even as early as elementary school they are putting forth just enough effort to get the grade. I don't want that to happen to my children. I want "school" to be about discovering, creating, and experimenting - not homework, tests, and report cards. I want my kids to be kids and not to be forced to grow up and get serious any sooner than is necessary.

There are so many other advantages that I can see to homeschooling, but these are the major ones in my mind.

So that's it then! Thanks for listening. Now that you know my dark secrets I hope we can still be friends - though not facebook friends, of course.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I deleted my facebook account a long time ago and I never want it back. I'm happy without it. Whenever I looked at facebook I usually felt negative and blah. You'll love not having one.

I am still on the fence about homeschool. I don't feel qualified. I'm happy to not have Noah in preschool but I am planning on him going to kindergarten next year. If I had gone to school for teaching I think I'd feel better qualified but I don't. I wish I did.