Thursday, July 2, 2009

MILK: It does a body good...

...but not good enough!

I consider myself a fairly healthy person. I don't do everything right but I make a pretty good effort most of the time. So you can imagine my surprise yesterday when I was glancing over the label of my daily multivitamins and saw that each pill provided only 16% of my daily calcium needs. (a quick google search explained that this is because calcium molecules are relatively huge and including enough to meet a person's daily needs along with all the other vitamins and minerals in there would result in a pill too large to swallow).

ANYWAY - this got me to thinking. On a "good" day (dairy-wise) I might have 1/2 cup of milk, 1 oz. of cheese (the size of one string cheese), and 1/2 cup of yogurt. So I checked the calcium percentages on those items. What did I find? IF I eat those three dairy items PLUS my multivitamin, I still only make it to 65% of my recommended daily calcium intake. What?!
Visions of osteoporosis flooded my brain and I sent an emergency text to Steve. When he got home from work we raced to Costco and purchased a 300-count bottle of Calcium Supplements. 75% of my daily value in just one glorious pill. Add on some milk and cheese and I'm good to go. I just hope it's not to late to save my bones...

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I don't think I have that problem. I assume I eat too much dairy (milk with cereal, yogurt, cheese, ice cream). Maybe I should check though... now I'm scared :)

PS I thought of Russia every time I thought of Moscow too for a while. But the "natives" pronounce it Moss-co. Not cow. So now I do too and it helps keep it straight.

Love you!

Melissa said...

You are actually laying down bone material until mid-20's to maybe age 30 (probably stop at around 28) so you still have some time. Wahoo! Weight bearing exercise helps too. Also if you like orange juice, a lot of it is fortified with calcium. But the goal for milk is 3 a day meaning either 1 cup milk, 8 oz yogurt, or 2 oz cheese. But I'm impressed, most people don't think about osteoporosis until they have it. Okay, I'll stop typing, I could type for a while about nutrition. You should hear me go off on diabetes.

David said...

what came first, the pictures or the text? because your text fits the pictures a little TOO WELL!

moscow, russia really should be moskva, since that's how it's written and pronounced in russian. where moscow comes from i'm not entirely sure.

good job on the calcium. looks like you'll survive to see me next week!

Emily Jones said...

I had an extra glass of milk today... all because of you. Thanks Christie!