Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mother Knows Best

They say there's a point in a woman's life when she realizes her mother was right about everything. Here is my experience:

In my younger years, when playtime was SO hard to come by *cough* my siblings and I found it very unfair of our mother to enlist our help in tidying up the house. ESPECIALLY when she felt it was necessary to scrub down the whole house just because Grandma and Grandpa were coming. "Why should we?" we asked "Why don't you just let them see it how it normally is?" Of course we didn't care about the hypocrisy of the situation, we just wanted to get out of vacuuming under the couches or dusting the baseboards or some other ridiculous chore that we knew would go unnoticed by the grandparents.

I remember a particular incident where visitors were coming, and Mom was making us clean again (cruel, I know). I affirmed that when I was grown up and had my own place and SHE was coming to visit, I would NOT make any extra effort to impress her. She said, with motherly wisdom, "We'll see..."

Last week my parents came to visit Steve and me for the first time since we've been married. Did I vacuum under the couches? Mm-hm. Did I dust those baseboards? You bet. Mom was right.

I only wished I had some kids to help me!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

That is too funny! Moms are always right, darn it. I hope that means that as a mother I'm always right...does it? Probably not. But maybe when the kids are grown they'll think I am..

Annie said...

My father in law comes into town tomorrow and I'm procrastinating cleaning as long as possible....

Mary said...

when ever i find out my mom is coming is the best my house is ever clean--like she doesnt remember how i kept my room...

Christian said...

When I first read this it sounded right. I thought I could relate. Then I remembered the first time my mom came to visit Emily and me. We cleaned the whole house, but when mom showed up she meticulously cleaning any spots we missed. For example, did you know you can clean behind the bathtub faucet handles? You have to take them off first, but it can be done because she did it. Thanks mom.