Friday, May 15, 2009

(Possibly) Vegan Zucchini Bread Muffins

Well I'm not a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I think I have created a recipe that fits one or both of those categories. Also, it's healthier than your typical zucchini bread recipe! (no oil or eggs) which is what I was really going for. Here it is...

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 bananas)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon (or more if you like)
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves (sorry I don't really measure spices, I just add until it smells good)

Mix the sugars, applesauce, bananas and lemon juice. Add the vanilla and zucchini. Sift the remaining ingredients together and then mix in. Spoon the batter into muffin cups (makes about 30 muffins) and bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

I checked this recipe against my old recipe (with the oil and eggs). I cut down the calories from 165 in each muffin to 100, and the fat dropped from 8g in each muffin to less than 1 gram. Pretty good, I think! Compared to the old recipe, these muffins were lighter, with a slightly banana-ish taste, and quite sticky on the outside (I guess from the applesauce?) so they're a bit messy to eat, but otherwise enjoyable. Use a fork if you don't like to lick your fingers. Next time I think I'll add chocolate chips.

2 comments:

Kelsey Danielle said...

These look delicious. My favorite muffins ever were lemon zucchini... i wonder if I could adjust the recipe a bit?? I'll let you know!

Rachael said...

They look really good. And it's nice to be able to bake and not have it be unhealthy. I don't bake that much because if we're the only ones eating it, it's too much. Thanks for sharing!!