Steve and I have been happily married for eleven days now, so I think it's pretty obvious that we're going to make it in this world. Steve had to go back to work today, so I have a little extra time on my hands to do things like update this!
It's nice to be *home* and relax after our whirlwind wedding adventure, (which included a luncheon and three receptions and lots and lots of picture-taking in three different states) but it was great to see so many friends and family. We started in Salt Lake, where we were sealed in the temple (the day after my brother David and I graduated from BYU). We had a family luncheon in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (fancy!), then a garden reception that night at my cousin Lindsay's house (amazing!), took a couple days to catch our breath and flew up to Seattle. We had a reception there at the church, everything was beautiful, and it was fun to see old friends, especially some from high school. After that we dashed off to Dubuque, Iowa, hometown of my husband. I was surprised to find so much of interest here. I think the most exciting part was seeing the Mississippi River, and absolutely LOVING it!I don't know why I felt so connected to that big, muddy river, but it was pretty much love at first sight, and I didn't want to look away. First of all, I think I felt like I had stepped into a Mark Twain novel, which was awesome. Also it was just so much bigger than I had ever imagined. And the landscape surrounding was beautiful. Loved it!
Steve's dad gave us a great tour of the city, complete with commentary and historical background on just about anything you could see, including a tower used in Civil War times for making ammunition. I enjoyed the ride up the "4th Street Elevator" (a cable car contraption constructed by a banker in the late 1800s who didn't have enough time to ride horse and buggy all the way up and around the hill to his home for lunch) and the view from the top, and the visit to the real-life "Field of Dreams" movie site! That was pretty cool since it's one of my favorite movies.
So, after our final reception in Iowa, which was just as beautiful as the first two, we packed our overflowing suitcases with generous gifts from all over the country, said our sad goodbyes to family, and were excited to get home and start our new life together!
And that's pretty much what we've been doing since we arrived Sunday night...we spent all our gift cards and stocked up our kitchen. Steve's back doing the 9 to 5 (actually the 8 to 4) and I'm trying to catch up to my sister on our goal to read 100 books this year (she's at least 10 books ahead of me...in fact I can't believe I've taken so much time on this, I am picking up a book right NOW!)
No comments:
Post a Comment