Last night I took Daphne to a ballet. It was a first for both of us. The BYU Theatre Ballet performed at a local high school and I thought Daphne might like it so we went. The theme was "Fairy Tales and Fantasy" and they had a party before the show to meet the ballerinas (and the one... ballerino?) They encouraged dressing up like a princess so Steve suggested Daphne wear her green princess "dress" (it is technically a nightgown). She jumped on the idea and wore it all day before the show, so I just went with it. I'm sure someday she'll look back on this picture and say, with horror, "Mom! How could you let me wear pajamas to a BALLET?!" (Also she likes to wear crazy brightly colored socks with her crazy brightly colored sandals...)
My mom and sister also came with us. Daphne almost wouldn't do any pictures with the ballerinas, but after my sister and then I offered to get in the picture with her, she consented. But just once. I wasn't sure how Daphne would like the show, but for the most part she seemed to enjoy it. It was nice that it was a somewhat informal show with all the other little girls there, and half the people (or more) were probably members of our Stake - so I didn't worry too much about Daphne's running commentary, which was definitely louder than a whisper. Things like "Why is she doing that with her tush?" and "What are they doing? That's weird!" and "Why is HE dancing like a princess!?" And occasional outbursts of "I'm hungry!" There were also positive comments, like "Wow!" and "I can't believe it's past my bedtime! I get to stay up so early!"
I think my favorite, though, was a completely silent but very expressive "conversation" she had with a friend sitting a few rows in front of us. The friend turned around and they moved their mouths as if talking and waved their arms and hands and faces around in wild gestures as if having a very animated conversation. This went on for several minutes.
What I did NOT expect was to start crying during Intermission! They invited all the kids to go up on stage and dance with the ballerinas to some song I'd never heard before but it was something about a little girl growing up and dancing with her dad as a girl and then as she's getting ready for prom and her wedding etc. It might have been called "My Cinderella". Anyway, I lost it. She just looked so small and far away up there, and I thought about sending her off to kindergarten soon, and how much she's already grown up and all that. When she came back and saw me crying she gave me a big hug. I told her they were happy tears but that wasn't entirely true. It was a very bittersweet moment. I also told her "I loved watching you dance!" and that WAS entirely true. Even in her pajamas, I couldn't help thinking she was the most beautiful princess at the ballet.
3 years ago
1 comment:
What a special date with your girl. I think my sister went with my niece, too!
Post a Comment