Thursday, December 8, 2011

Piano Recital

After taking lessons for almost a year, I finally agreed to participate in a recital (there have been two others since I started - and I had good reasons not to perform in either of them - but there were no excuses this time). I was last on the list and had four songs to play. My knees were shaking the whole recital in anticipation of when it would be my turn. I played my first two songs pretty easily, but my nerves caught up with me on the third and my hands started shaking so badly I could hardly press down the keys and missed a few notes. Somehow I got through it, and the audience was kind enough to clap (mostly parents of the other performers - who were all about 15 years younger than me and more experienced, except my sister who is only 12 years younger - but also more experienced). Daphne ran up to the front to join me. She was beaming and clapping and that was the best applause I could ask for. However, I also really appreciated having our neighbor there to support me, and of course Steve, and my parents, and sister and brother. I think my dad got a picture of us all at the end, and maybe some video of the performance so I might add that later.

As scary as it was, I'm glad I did it. And I'm glad it's over. I was practicing about 45-60 minutes a day for the week leading up to it! Funny how you can find the time to do something when it really matters to you. Most of the time I barely manage to get in 10 minutes of daily practice. Still, I love that I'm able to take lessons and continue to improve. Even if I am significantly older than most people at my level.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

It's awesome that you're doing it. I have considered taking lessons, too. I quit in 2nd grade and I shouldn't have.

Emily Jones said...

My senior year I played in a piano recital with about 15 other people. The oldest besides me was in 9th grade. Everyone else was in elementary school. So I have an idea of how you probably were feeling. But seriously... how awesome that you're taking piano lessons. Some people regret not taking piano lessons but never do anything about it. Not you! I think that's awesome. Can't wait to hear you play someday. And who knows? Maybe we'll do a trio with you, me, and Ashlee. :)

(P.S. I was hoping you'd blog again. Glad to have you back! :)