Wednesday, June 10, 2009

JAMMIT!

If you or someone you love is planning on using 12 pounds of strawberries to make some jam, you might want to advise them that 12 pounds is WAY more than is necessary. Even 6 pounds is excessive. I used about 2 pounds for my 5 cup yield and for our little family of two, that is more than enough jam to last us through the year.

So what will be the fate of the remaining 10 pounds? Well, I already ate 2 pounds this week and will probably be able to down another 2 before they go bad. Still, that leaves 6 pounds unaccounted for. And what will be their fate? Unfortunately, they're being sent straight to Strawberry Death Row.

Oh you've never heard of it? Basically, it's my freezer. There they will wait out the remainder of their frozen lives until they are called to The Blender. Now please don't think this is cruel and unusual punishment. Sure the actual demise of the strawberry is quite gruesome, but think of the life I'm giving them! A typical strawberry lasts less than a week in the fridge, while I'm giving them up to a year in the freezer! I'd say it's a fair trade-off. And it's not like they'll be alone. I usually send a nice banana to be with them in their final moments.

I would also like to mention that my jam was a success and is delicious on toast.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

As always, you're hilarious! I wish I could taste your jam. Sounds great!