I survived my first California earthquake early this morning! (or "earthshake" as they say on Land Before Time) We felt it about 2:00am, and found out later it was about a 3.0 on the Richter Scale, and was located about 10 to 15 miles from where we live.
Of course I was asleep at the time and dreaming about the crazy asylum board game we had played last night with some of our neighbors, so the scary rattling noise coming from our closet fit perfectly with the monsters I was battling in my dream. Luckily, it was enough to just barely shake me into consciousness and hear Steve ask, "did you feel that?" so I could say "yeah" and he could explain "that was an earthquake!" and I could say "really? weird..." So it turns out the rattling wasn't a monster but a tremor caused by movement of the Earth's crust, who knew?!
A couple minutes later, still awake, I decided to check the time and realized that the power had gone out. Brave Steven got a flashlight and went down to check the breaker box but to no avail. So we were without power for an unspecified amount of time, because it really doesn't matter if the lights aren't working in the middle of the night, so we went back to sleep and found them fully functional when we woke up...again, this time on purpose.
It was nothing compared to the earthquake I experienced my sophomore year of high school in Washington, but it was enough to make me count my blessings... and think about life... and food storage... and 72-hour kits and... then I drifted back into sleep and had another dream and in this one we had adopted a kid who insisted on wearing a furry monster costume at all times and couldn't or wouldn't talk at all, except to cry and make monster noises.
3 years ago
3 comments:
Holy cow you have weird dreams! And you crack me up; I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog through your brother's blog. Hope California is treating you well besides the random earthquake. I'm kicking myself for not getting together more with you and David and Jaimie when we were actually all in the same place. Dang, I'm bad at planning things...
hahaha! nice dream!
That earthquake in 10th grade was so funny. I mean a little scary but remember our teacher...Mr...B something was so scared hiding under his desk before any of us were. I loved it. We had so much fun in Biology!
Post a Comment