One thing I started obsessing over as kindergarten got closer was: what am I going to put in Daphne's lunch? Of course I found all kinds of cute bento box ideas on the internet, but then I realized - she eats a peanut butter and honey sandwich multiple times a week. Why spend all this time and energy finding new and creative ideas, when she doesn't have a problem with the easiest lunch ever? That's what I remember eating almost every single day of elementary school. Maybe the consistency would be comforting, I told myself. So I decided to just see how long we could ride the peanut butter sandwich train. And she was fine with it! For one day.
Day one of school I packed her a full (two slices of bread) sandwich with peanut butter and honey, along with a sliced apple, a juice box and a water bottle. The only thing that came home was the water. She told me that she was STARVING and between lunch and snacktime she ate everything. So I mentally high-fived myself (however that works...) and proceeded to make the exact same lunch for day two.
Big mistake.
Steve let me know that Daphne had confided in him that she was "So mad at Mom! She made me the exact same lunch AGAIN!" When I asked her why she didn't say anything to me about it, she said "I was just too mad at you!"
So we came up with a mutually agreeable solution. Instead of PB and honey, sometimes I would make PB and strawberry jam. And she could take grapes instead of an apple. Problem solved! At least temporarily. I know it won't last. She didn't eat the grapes that day, or her apple slices the next day, or even all of her sandwich.
So... yeah. I've got some brainstorming to do!
Another funny school lunch story: In the morning before the third day of school, I asked Daphne if she wanted to put two pieces of candy in her lunch. She said "YES! I NEVER get treats in my lunch!!!"
That's true Daphne. In all your school experience - all two days of it, at that point - you never once have had a treat in your lunch. Poor, unfortunate soul! Of course you did come home the first two days to an afterschool snack of homemade M&M cookies, but, you know, that's just a given.
3 years ago
2 comments:
That's so funny. Noah eats a pepperoni and cheese sandwich with applesauce and cheese its and water every single day and he never complains. Hazel likes more variation but since she used to be so picky I'm just glad she eats sandwiches now.
Kids are funny. We set up a calendar where I wrote down what each weekday lunch would be (Zeke is big into schedules). Monday butter and jelly (because pb apparently doesn't go with jelly anymore). Tuesday Turkey, cheese and crackers. Wednesday pb & honey. Thursday was it leftover day which doesn't really work with packing a much so I'm trying to come up with something. Friday is bagel with cream cheese with Turkey on the side (he loved turkey but won't eat it on bread). Sides vary, I stick a couple carrots or celery in with the hope that I'm investing in a future where he will actually eat them at school. That's our current plan anyways. They don't have snack at Z's school so my current dilemma is trying to get him to eat enough at breakfast so he isn't starving and cranky before lunch.
Post a Comment