Monday, February 23, 2015

Kindergarten?!

Daphne will be going to kindergarten this fall. WHAT?! I am still trying to get my head around it. After about four years of planning to homeschool, Steve and I decided in one afternoon to let her try kindergarten after all.

Okay, so it wasn't as simple as that. I have been going back and forth about it pretty much every day since Alex was born - but we finally sat down and really talked about it and prayed about it and decided that homeschooling is just not the answer for our family at this time. (I reserve the right to change my mind later on...) But for this year, for sure, she'll be going. We already told her, so there's no turning back now! (Daphne is super excited, by the way.)

In a lot of ways, it makes life easier. I don't feel overwhelmed with curriculum choices and lesson plans and the responsibility of teaching absolutely everything to my kids, and the thought of hardly ever being alone until they all go to college. Plus, just knowing - for sure - what the plan is, that's a relief in itself.

On the other hand, I was PLANNING to homeschool. So I haven't even given a thought to things like - what do I pack in her lunch? Will she be able to get a straw in her juice box on her own? Will she make it to the bathroom if the teacher makes her wait ten minutes longer than she's used to?

I think I would feel a little more relaxed about it if they had half-day kindergarten, but nope! Only full-day kindergarten around here. And we didn't do pre-school. So she'll be going from 0 to 6 hours right from the start.

I AM excited for her though. I can pretty much guarantee she'll love it. She's been wanting to go to "real school" since she was three. There was a brief period when I had her convinced that homeschool could be fun too, but she started asking about "real school" again a couple months ago and hasn't given up. When we told her Sunday that she could go to kindergarten if she wanted to, she said, "This is going to be FANTASTIC!"

I just hope I don't cry too much on the first day of school.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

So exciting! She will love it. We have half day here but there may be an option to pay for full day and we're hoping it will happen for Olive. I think she needs all the help she can get with her speech delays and she needs that structure. Daphne will do so well. I'm happy that you've reached a conclusion.

Emily Jones said...

The nice thing is that you can still teach her at home but she'll get extra practice and social skills at school. I hope things work out for her. I'll be right there with ya' crying when I send Carly to school in the fall. :*(