We took the kids to a pumpkin patch this weekend. A REAL pumpkin patch. It was a first for the whole family. I was tempted to just grab a few pumpkins on our way out of the grocery store, because it would have been so much easier, but Steve assured me that a pumpkin patch would be worth the trip. He was right.
Here's how it happened:
We spotted some hand-painted signs advertising "U-Pick Pumpkins" and followed them, not knowing what to expect. We ended up on a bumpy dirt road, and the signs changed from advertising pumpkins to "Richard's Trailer". That was a little weird, but we ended up in the right place anyway.
Turns out this pumpkin farm doubles as a Christmas tree farm and the pumpkin vines are growing in and around and sometimes up the little trees! Also some random corn stalks. I liked that.
I was totally expecting one of those places where the pumpkins are already cut and polished and neatly arranged on hay bales according to size, but this was the real deal.
It was muddy and messy, with every color of pumpkin from green to orange, all still attached to the vine. There wasn't even really a path to follow, just places where the weeds and vines had been trampled by pumpkin-hunters that came before us. I was a little nervous about that at first, for Daphne's sake, but she loved "exploring" (as she called it), and chattered happily the entire time as she led the way, dodging around Christmas trees, searching for the perfect pumpkin.
Steve inspected them all for bug holes and soft spots until they found one they both considered big enough and blemish-free... and a couple smaller ones as well. And then Daphne just HAD to have one of the little white ones, "for Alex".
(Guarding her favorite while Steve found a wheelbarrow and clippers)
We didn't have much cash with us, so I was a little worried as Steve placed them on the scale, hoping we wouldn't be over budget and have to put one back. We had just enough! It was meant to be.
It should be noted that I carried Alex the entire time (not a good place for a walking novice) and took pictures and held Daphne's hand whenever there was a rotten pumpkin or tall weeds to step over. So with Daphne trailblazing, and Steve inspecting and lifting and cutting and wheelbarrowing, and Alex behaving himself even though he couldn't get down and play, it was definitely a team effort to bring home these orange beauties.
(4 pumpkins and a pair of muddy shoes)
I think we'll have to go back next year.
3 years ago
1 comment:
So fun! I love the baby white one for Alex :)
Post a Comment